Initiating a Municipal Outdoor Lighting Ordinance
The questions below are designed to assist with the customization of the wording and general direction of the ordinance.
1. Can you cite examples of abusive lighting in this community or elsewhere that you would like to prevent in the future?
2. What type areas do you wish to address in the ordinance? Circle all that apply:
3. Do you wish to use (circle one):
A. Prescriptive controls (e.g., fixture types, mounting heights, glare control shields, etc.)
B. Performance controls (footcandle limits such as average, maximum, and minimum and uniformity ratios that describe the evenness of lighted areas of a road or parking lot)
C. Combination of A and B above
4. Regarding light trespass (spilling light onto a neighbor’s property) and light pollution (projecting excessive light into the night sky), how would you describe your goals toward limiting/controlling through an ordinance? Circle one:
4. Regarding holiday/festive and other temporary lighting (circle one):
5. Lighting curfews require the reduction in light level and/or that the lights be cut off after a certain time of night. (circle one)
6. As it relates to maximum pole height for lighting fixtures in parking lots, which would you prefer? (circle one)
7. How to handle existing lighting in the municipality. (circle one)
8. Do you have other lighting concerns that were not adequately covered above? (please list)